The ascent of the Matterhorn is one the most beautiful and dramatic challenges in an alpinist's lifetime.
Its summit is one of the world's most recognisable peaks, and climbing the Matterhorn has long mesmerised those who love the mountains.
It is not technically difficult, however the ascent demands that you have had previous rock climbing experience.
This 3 days course is designed for those who are already have high mountain experience, involving sustained multipitch rock / mixed routes minimum French grade IV.
You will need to bring an identity card or passport.
Your high mountain guide:
- UIAGM qualified
- English and French speaking
Please use the tabs above to read about the day by day itinerary, and other useful information.
Climb the Matterhorn in 3 Days Itinerary
Subject to change depending on weather / mountain conditions and participants' fitness.
Day 0: Gear check at Hotel Pointe Isabelle in the evening with your guide
Day 1: Arête sud de la Chapelle de la Glière
This day will be a warm-up / test day.
Ascent by cable car the Index (Flegere) to reach the south ridge of the classic route on the Chapel of the Glière. Beautiful ascent that we will do in approach shoes to get used to climbing at altitude.
If you have already done this climb, we will choose an alternative.
Night in Hotel «La Pointe Isabelle» in Chamonix.
Day 2: Hornli
We take the train from Taesch to Zermatt and from the top of the Schwarzee cable car we hike up to the Hornli hut (3260m).
We will have a rest in the afternoon in order to prepare for the Matterhorn.
Time: 2-3 hours
Altitude covered: +680m
Day 3: Ascent of the Matterhorn
A 3am start. The path starts easy, then gradually turns into a series of climbs and switchbacks before reaching the Solvay hut.
There are some more rocky stretches before we reach the snow line. Fixed ropes are there to aid the climbing on the ice and snow, which although not technically challenging, can be hard work at this altitude.
A snowy crest brings you to the summit of the Matterhorn. After you have taken some photos, the descent is via the same route back down to the valley. From here we drive back to Chamonix.
Time: 10-12 hours
Altitude covered: +1218m / -1800m
Note: If you wish to traverse the Matterhorn, it is possible and we will do it from Hornli hutte to Lyon's ridge on the way down. There will be extra cost for lift pass and guide's fee, approx 250€.
Technical level required to climb Matterhorn
- You need to have had experience of multipitch high mountain climbs at French grade IV (UK level AD)
- Snow and ice gradients of 35° to 45°
If in doubt, send us a summary of your climbing and mountaineering experience so we can discuss the correct course for your level.
Fitness level required to climb Matterhorn
- Daily altitude range of up to 1400m. Days lasting 10 to 12 hours
- Excellent fitness required
The climb of Matterhorn requires excellent fitness as we must keep a pace to be on top not too late, usually between 5 to 6 hours max. Keep in mind that the way down is longer than the way up and requires more energy!
Changes to the program
The guide reserves the right to change the program according to participants' capacity, weather, and conditions on the mountain.
In cases where a participant's capacity does not meet the required level, we will offer an alternative itinerary or add a second guide for the ascent of the Matterhorn (at additional cost).
On request, it is also possible to traverse from the Arête du Hornlï to the Arête du Lyon. This adds a day to the program - please ask for a quote.
- 3 days / 3 nights
The evening before at approx 6.30 pm (will be confirmed based on clients' arrival time) at Pointe Isabelle hotel reception.
- By train (SNCF): Chamonix train station
- By plane: Geneva airport is the closest, from where there are regular buses and airport transfers direct to Chamonix
In catered huts, and hotel Pointe Isabelle in Chamonix, avenue de la Gare.
There is bottled drinking water only in huts, for purchase. Ensure you have cash (Swiss francs) to buy some.
If you need accommodation before or after your tour, ask us in advance and we can advise or book it for you.
- Breakfast and dinner are provided in the huts
- Packed lunches are provided, which you carry. Normally includes ham, bread, cheese, cake, chocolate
- We advise you to bring your own snacks too (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit and nuts, nothing heavy or squashable)
- Vegetarian menu available on request
- You will be sent the equipment list once your book
- Plus: climbing shoes
- Equipment supplied: ropes and safety gear
Climb the Matterhorn in 3 days - Pricing and Availability information
|Course Date||Price (per person)||Status||Book|
|02-04 Sep 2019||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|09-11 Sep 2019||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|16-18 Sep 2019||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|06-08 July 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|13-15 July 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|20-22 July 2020||2580€||Available - 1 place|
|27-29 July 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|03-05 Aug 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|10-12 Aug 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|17-19 Aug 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|24-26 Aug 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|31 Aug - 02 Sep 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|07-09 Sep 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|14-16 Sep 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
|21-22 Sep 2020||2580€||Available - 2 places|
- €2580 (based on 2 persons) 1:2 guide:client ratio on day 1, and 1:1 guide:client ratio for the Matterhorn ascent days 2 and 3
- €2865 (based on 1 person) 1:1 guide:client ratio for all 3 days
The price includes:
- High mountain guides for 3 days, 1 for day 1, 2 for days 2-3 (Matterhorn ascent)
- 2 nights B&B D0 and D1 in hotel*** in Chamonix as in shared twin room
- 1 night HB D2 in Hornli Hut
- 3 picnics
- Safety equipment provided by guide (ropes, carabiners, etc.)
- Train / taxi from Taesch – Zermatt
- Schwarzee cable car one way
- Transport from Chamonix to Zermatt
The price does not include:
- Transport to Chamonix
- Diner on day 0,1
- Personal gear hire
- Personal expenses (drinking water in huts, energy bars, phone calls)
- Single room supplement
- Extra charges arising from program changes
- Insurance (we can provide for EU residents, please enquire)